Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Wednesday Tip Day---Making the cheaper cut of meat work!


When a recipe calls for a more expensive cut of meat/poultry you can save money by choosing these alternatives:

Sirloin/Top Round    
Substitute-Flat Iron Steak: Tenderize by marinating for 1-2 hours before cooking
Pork Tenderloin       
Substitute-Pork Shoulder: Preparing the meat in a slow cooker will help soften it
Lamb Chops            
Substitute-Lamb Shank: Braising or Slow Roasting will break down the fibers
Chicken Breast         
Substitute-Whole Chicken: Stuff with onions and apples and oven-roast
Salmon Fillet            
Substitute-Salmon Steak: Grill the fish on the foil to ensure that you lock in moisture
Ready-to-cook Shrimp
Substitute-Frozen Shrimp: Thaw completely, then broil quickly (5 minutes max)

Courteosy of Parents Magazine November 2009

6 comments:

Leslie said...

those are graet tips! I especially want to try the shrimp tip. I love shrimp but forget to plan it into our menus.

Taylor said...

Great ideas! Thanks for sharing!
Taylor
http://thelumberjackswife.wordpress.com

Jennifer said...

Thanks! I tend to stick to the same couple of cuts of meat that I know how to cook. I need to branch out.

Debbie said...

The salmon tip is great - salmon steaks are cheaper than fillet, but I wasn't sure how to handle them. I'll use silver foil this time.

Penniless Parenting said...

Thanks! I've got to try some of those. Nothing worse than cooking meat only to find out you prepared it all wrong, so its tough and gross.
I'm here from frugal friday- can't wait to check out the rest of your blog!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the list! I could use this. Bookmarking and following :)