Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Wednesday Tip Day----Getting Creative with your Cereal!

THREE NEW IDEAS for CEREAL

June's issue of "Family Circle" had a great little snippit with ideas for cereal. 
I thought this would make a great tip post since we are always finding great cereal deals!

1.  Stir 1 cup bran flakes, 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup softened butter until crumbly.  Sprinkle over top of muffin batter before baking.

2.  Combine 2 cups Cinnamon Toast Crunch, 1/2 cup sliced toasted almonds and 1/4 cup granulated sugar.  Coarsely crush. Roll 1 pint of ice cream in mixture and refreeze before serving.

3.  Mix 2 cups Rice Krispies with 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning.  Dip, one by one, 4 thinly sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts in beaten egg; dredge in cereal to coat.  Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.

What are your favorite ways to use cereal in your recipes?

This post is linked to WFMF!!


6 comments:

Christy said...

I use cereal in these yummy cookies.

http://therockspot-tkc.blogspot.com/2009/10/crisp-cinnamon-cookies.html

Never thought of using rice crispies to coat chicken - sounds good.

Noelle said...

Thanks, Christy! Those sound pretty darn yummy!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the tips. I don't ever have extra cereal though, because my 4 kids eat it non-stop for snacks. It is their favorite snack.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

I try not to buy too much cereal, although every once in a while I'll find a good deal. We like - http://www.lamp-unto-my-feet.com/2010/02/peanut-butter-snack-bars-and-giveaway.html

'Becca said...

That muffin topping sounds like a yummy way to add fiber to the muffins! I'll have to try that.

We bought some raisin bran whose flakes were so big and hard that it was uncomfortable to eat, but I figured out how to turn it into Raisin Bran Bread. Now I look for great deals on raisin bran so I can make more of this!

If cereal gets stale, you can fry it in a little butter, maybe with some dried fruit, and eat it like popcorn. This works especially well with Kix which is very prone to going stale.

Betsy Escandon said...

We snack on dry cereal all the time and I never need to use it up. But I do like chicken breasts rolled in corn flakes, and LOVED chex mix and Muddy Buddies (chex in melted chocolate then powdered sugar) as a kid. Thanks for the ideas. Here from Frugal Friday.