Caribbean Nights Dinner
(I don't remember the source of this recipe and for that I apologize- I am pretty certain it came from a Sandra Lee cookbook, though. I have adapted it a little!)
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: Low 6 hours
3 Plantains, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
3 tsp McCormick Caribbean Jerk Seasoning (this will need to be adjusted to your taste!)
2 cans black beans 15oz each
1.5lbs flank steak, rinsed and patted dry (I substitute whatever was on sale recently)
salt and pepper to taste
1 can crushed pineapple in juice 8oz
1 c. low-sodium beef broth
5 - 7 quart slow cooker recommended
1. Combine plantains and beans in slow cooker.
2. Season steak with salt, pepper, and 1 tsp Jamaican Jerk and place in slow cooker.
3. In a bowl, combine 2 tsp Jerk, pineapple, and broth. Pour into slow cooker over the steak.
4. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
5. Remove steak and serve with beans and plantains over rice.
~Using the 3 tsp of Jerk recommended was too mild for my family, but may be too hot for yours. I would start at the recommended 3 tsp and see how the heat is for your family.
~There is often a lot of "sauce" leftover. Once we have eaten all of the meat, I remove any leftover plantains and freeze the sauce mixture with any beans remaining. I then use this mixture in place of one can of beans the next time I make the recipe.